Wednesday 22 February 2012

Maybelline The Colossal Volum'Express mascara

I decided to give this mascara a shot, based on suggestions from some of the ladies on the Makeup Geek forum. I didn't really need a new mascara, since I've been in love with L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black for about a year now. But I wanted to branch out and start trying new drugstore mascaras. My philosophy with mascara is that there's no point (for me) to pay $20-30 every few months for high end mascara when I would much rather use that money to save up for something else that I really want. I wear mascara every day, so buying Diorshow or Bad Gal every two or three months got to be a little much. And really, there are great affordable mascaras out there, so why not try them out?

When I originally bought The Colossal, I found the formul to be pretty wet. I think I used it maybe twice and then threw it in a drawer where it was forgotten for a while. Not long ago, I decided to give it a fair shot so I started using it more often. The formula had dried a bit, which made it better (in my opinion), since it wasn't weighing down my lashes. It gives decent volume, but I find it's more lengthening and since it's dried it holds curl much better. The formula definitely isn't as thick as Voluminous, so I don't have to scrape the brush off before applying. The brush itself is a traditional type: not rubber, fairly small with lots of bristles. It is a bit wider than the Voluminous brush, and I think the extra bristles give good definition. I've been wearing it more during the day, when I don't wear much eye makeup.

The one problem I have with this mascara is the scent... It smells so strong! And I'm not usually overly fussy about scents in my makeup, but for some reason this mascara's overwhelming, strange scent really gets to me. I can't even really describe the smell; my boyfriend thought it was some kind of natural ingredient. Whatever the case, it's kind of a deal-breaker for me, which is too bad because it really is not a bad mascara. I'll definitely be sticking with my Voluminous Carbon Black, and I'm also thinking about picking up Almay's Get Up and Grow mascara to try out next. I'll let you know my thoughts on that one once I give it a try! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment