Tuesday 28 February 2012

L'Oreal Magic Smooth Souffle blush

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been into cream/stick or mousse blushes lately. I guess it's because it's winter and my skin has been much drier than it normally is, so piling on a lot of different powders doesn't help. I had bought one of the Maybelline Dream Mousse blushes (in Peach Satin) maybe a year ago, but at the time my skin was more oily and the sheen just made me look greasier. When I went back to it this winter, the texture was not as easy to work with: it wasn't as light and the texture had become somewhat grainy, so it wasn't as easy to blend. I heard these were being discontinued, so when I saw the new L'Oreal Souffle blushes, I thought maybe it was time to try something new!


I have the shade Celestial, which is a nice soft peachy-pink colour. I swatched this shade in the store and the texture felt really smooth, plus I'm a sucker for peachy blushes, so I picked it up. I have to say, this blush is so incredibly easy to blend on the skin. The texture is so light, but the colour is concentrated enough that you don't need much at all to get a nice flush in the cheeks. Funny thing, before I actually wore it on my face, I swatched it on my hand (when I got it home) and my hand had a bunch of shimmer on it. But I don't notice any shimmer on my face when I wear this blush. In fact, the finish is more matte than anything (though I can't be sure if all the shades are similar in finish).

Which brings me to the aspects of this product that may not be for everyone. If you're looking for that dewy finish on the skin, this blush isn't really going to accomplish that. I have a couple of cream stick blushes (Josie Maran and NYC) that give a dewy look to the cheeks, so if that's the look I'm going for I turn to them instead. The L'Oreal Souffle also may not be the most long-wearing blush either. I guess that has to do with the light texture (or maybe it's just because I get oil breakthrough throughout the day), but I don't think this is going to wear from morning til late. The one other drawback to the product was the price: I paid $15.99 for it at my local drugstore. I realize it's a new product, so I'm assuming the price will go down eventually (and I'm sure it's much cheaper in the US), but $16 for a drugstore blush is pushing it. Maybe it's so high because of the packaging; the glass container is nice, but a little unnecessarily bulky for the amount of product it contains (which is 0.3 fl oz/9 ml).

Despite a few drawbacks, I still really like this product, and will likely buy another shade if I can find it for a fairer price. The best thing about this blush is how easy it is to apply and blend. For that reason, I love to use it when I don't want to spend much time getting ready. I think it's great for anyone who's looking for a quick and easy way to wake up the face!

No comments:

Post a Comment